Friday, August 26, 2011

It's Broken!!!

I have always wondered when we would have our first broken bone in our family and how I would handle it.   I have never wondered, however, who the first broken bone would belong to...Emery!  Emery is our family daredevil, climbing just about anything.  Before she could walk she would crawl onto the stool at our kitchen counter, pull herself up to a stand then draw up her feet and hang from the counter.

Last week we confirmed that she has a broken leg.  Poor baby girl broke it on the trampoline.  Everyone assumes that she fell off, Seth landed on her, or something dramatic happened.  It was very odd how she broke it.  She was standing on the trampoline while Seth jumped.  He is not heavy at all and doesn't create too much of a bounce, but it was enough to make her lose her balance and land on her foot wrong.  Poor little girl screamed so loud and continued crying for an hour or so.  We took her to Urgent Care who took x-rays and said she had a sprain.  After four days of not putting weight on her foot and not sleeping well we took her to her pediatrician who looked at the same x-rays and said she had a fracture on her tibia.  We took her to a pediatric orthopedist and got a cast.  Seth picked out a nice neon green one for his baby sister.  He was such a help that day with appointments and running round.



 I'd like to say that this cast has slowed Emery down, but this is not so.  She is just as much of a daredevil, climber and roughhousing kid as ever.  I believe she is sitting on the arm of our couch as I type this.  She is now starting to put weight on her cast (just as the doctor had said she would eventually do) but crawling is still her main mode of transportation.  She is a trooper.  Here is to another few weeks of baths with plastic bags and duct tape, parks with no sand, and no beaches!



3 comments:

Caitlyn said...

Wow! What a trooper. Both you and Emery...Hang in there and too bad it didn't slow her down at all :)

Annalisa said...

Wild! Marle is our daredevil too...my parents (who are 72+ now) are scared she's going to fall off the table one of these days. Eke, I pray she doesn't!

Hugs to all and hope Emery heals soon.

Eric & Aimei Phillips said...

Sad...but so cute...I'm sure you were calmer than I was when Max had to get stitches...I believe the ambulance showed up and I believe all of my garments were covered up...but that's about it!